Now that I have some spare time to kill, and I am also running out of anime to watch, time to continue my story. I'll start to tell you about my work (office work, not household chores that I fortunately still have to do everyday cause I live in together with my family).
To begin with, back then after I graduated from my undergraduate study, I didn't immediately got my current job. I actually want to continue my study into master's degree, but I didn't have the right attitude to chase it hard enough. I was enjoying my "leisure time" too much that I didn't realize time is moving, and it's moving really fast. I think part of me still wants to spend time like I usually do with my friends, joking around like the old days, afraid to move on to the next stage of life, and found it really hard to part with my friends (particularly my fellow lab-mates). Shame on me. I admit that one of the reason I took the project from my story before is because I can still working on it from my lab, and from Bandung especially. Because at that time I honestly don't want to spend my life working in a tedious environment like Jakarta. No offense for the people of Jakarta cause I also came from Jakarta, but it really gets horrible each day especially the traffic.
After I finished with my project, I am left with one question in mind. Where should I go and what I am going to do next? I (think I) know my dreams and passions are, and I want to pursue a master's degree to accommodate it. The problem is, I'm not a very bright student and it would be very hard to find a school which could accept me. Hahaha... There's this school called Sokendai in Japan that I'm particularly interested to, and fortunately the department I want to enter to held an international internship program. So I went and tried to register, and unbelievably got accepted into that program (which I will also tell the story about in here, probably).
Right about the same time with the announcement of the internship program, Varian Aditya, a friend of mine who had the same major and club activity with me, offered a position in his office. He said there is vacant position, and that the office needs a replacement immediately. I told him that I couldn't start to work immediately cause I want to do the internship first. So I told him maybe they could wait until I got back to the country. I actually told you before that I prefer project kind of work to regular office work, but I couldn't fit another project that fits my expertise and I was getting tired listening to my parent's rant asking me when I would be working. She's absolutely right though, I must not just waiting and do nothing. Long story short, after I got back from Japan, I did the interview (not that serious kind of interview with multiple levels of application stages) and got into my current job.
![]() |
| Welcome office work! I hope my mind & body are ready for this. |
To be specific, my office is in Siemens Pulomas Factory (East Jakarta, while my house is on the west of West Jakarta *sigh*). I work in Infrastructure & Cities Sector, Smart Grid Division, IC-SG EA SOL (Energy Automation Solutions). Wow, that's quite a long name. I work as a SCADA Engineer in what turns out to be a project-based division that do diverse things automation. Though our current project deals with electrical grid, I heard they have also done some projects in different areas. The good news is, I have 3 friends in who come from my major & my batch, while the bad news is, I don't have many chances to meet them frequently.
I said that this is a project-based division cause apparently we do many projects from the outside, an our current client and biggest project is PLN (Perusahaan Listrik Negara, a national company which runs electricity in this country) and the electric power transmission & distribution respectively. The engineers in our division are rarely seen in the office, so to see the office almost empty is a familiar sight. The reason for this is we often have to work in project site, and because we don't have many people around, all of us seems very busy and even have multiple roles to handle. Right after my first day, I immediately placed in Gardu Induk Cawang (Cawang Substation) to help with the replacement of electrical power transmission and distribution system in Cawang region.
![]() |
| A view that I see every morning. |
One of the great hurdle that I have to pierce through is, there's not a single training given to me to accommodate my job. I don't have proper and enough knowledge in this field, and I thrown out immediately into a real job just like an innocent deer in the middle of hungry pack of wolves, waiting to be ripped apart. I have to figure out what my job really is, and learn all of it myself. Fortunately, I'm not alone in Cawang cause there's a senior SCADA engineer that I could ask help from. But she is busy enough to make me feel reluctant to ask thousands of questions, so I have to learn bit by bit while trying to help as much as I can. Just want to make myself useful.
The progress of this current replacement project is in what they called a "Point-to-Point" stage. It means that we already prepared the hardware and software needed to run the system after it has been tested in our factory, and it is now the time to test the communication to see if it will also runs smoothly in the real field. We do it by having two teams, one team is in master station and another one is in the "field" or substation). The test is done by simulating many commands from master station to substation or vice versa, and see if it really runs perfectly. We have to do it for around 120+ substations in Cawang region only, so that's really a huge amount of work to do. After we've done with this P2P stage, we can move on then to the next stage in our project that is SAT (Site Acceptance Test) which will tests further the performance of our system in site.
![]() |
| The master station, it's even more messy than my lab. |
![]() |
| My "usual" desk in Cawang substation. |
Again, that's a "brief" introduction to my current job. I have worked for just only three months counting from January. Though I'm struggling and not really enjoying every part of it, I try to cope and survive through all this, while waiting for my "other" news.
Cheers.




Comments
Post a Comment