Skip to main content

Land of the Rising Sun (Actually More About Sagamihara)

Well.... After a HUGE gap in this blog, I suddenly feel the urge and need to continue posting in this blog again. The troublesome amount of things that I have to take care of for the past 4-5 month makes me lost my mood to write. Now finally after everything has calmed down a bit, time to tell my experiences again before the inevitable comes... I start to forget all of them.

To be consistent with this post's title, I would like to talk about my new life!
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Yeeaahh!!

Sorry for that shameful expression, but it's really nothing compared to my feelings when I finally know the news. In short (too lazy to go into details about this right now, ah well maybe in another post.. Or not), I have finally come to Japan (again). After my last year's internship program which only lasted for 1 month, this time I will live in Japan at least (assuming my study goes well, very well) 5 years!! Gosh that is sure a lot amount of time. Right now I am living in the same city with my last year's internship place, which is Sagamihara, Kanagawa Prefecture.

Kanagawa Prefecture. Just to give you a broader perspective, and a little geography lesson.
Sagamihara. A town where I live.


So basically this city is located in the upper part of Kanagawa, and it is adjacent with Tokyo. But don't expect that this city is similar to Tokyo, because (at least in my area) it's rather quite and peaceful. Not that I don't like it, I mean I think it's pretty suitable to support an ideal academic life, but sometimes it just adds to the loneliness. Hahaha.. By the way, the area where I live in is around Fuchinobe station which makes me wonder where are all the crowd who usually in the station go. I still live in my research institute's lodge right now, but starting next month I would lead an independent, harsh (exaggerated) life in my own apartment.

Fortunately because I'm staying in the same laboratory with my previous experience here, I've known most of the people here and a little bit about this area. There are quite many schools around here, from elementary to senior high, a couple of restaurants to choose from (but all my laboratory members seem to have one favorite), a big electronic store, a used books/other stuffs store, and there's even a baseball stadium nearby. All in all I'm very happy and feels blessed to be able to come and live in here. And here are some list of things that I'm quite fond of about Sagamihara (and maybe Japan in general):
  • Obviously the transportation system, which is highly organized and frighteningly punctual. Everything from train to bus has their own schedule, and being late is a huge problem here that they even have delay certificate.
  • I like how they have a good infrastructure to support that kind of organized life. For  example, an actual, functional, traffic light for pedestrian who cross the street and a decent sidewalk equipped with Tactile Ground Surface Indicators.
  • I also like how bicycle is a significant modes of transportation here. Almost everyone has bicycle and use them for day-to-day nearby transportation.
  • The hospitality (famous Japanese words "omotenashi", which recently become very famous expecially with my lab members because of this). Well it's true maybe I just haven't met the weird or bad kind yet, but I often stumble when travel and have to ask many people around, and it hasn't disappointed me yet.
  • ....... I'll add something to this list when I find or remember more.
Hopefully my big expectations of this new place that I'm live in now will not result in a huge disappointment, either because my own actions or external interferences! ヽ(*≧ω≦)ノ
Oh, and one more thing. I think all the city in Japan has different symbol, or maybe their unique characteristics, and it is pictured in their manhole design which is quite interesting for me. And for Sagamihara....

I don't know what trees are them, honestly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today...

Is not so good. While the number of people that come to lab is one less than yesterday, meaning there's only one other person beside me, I can't seem to proceed. My intention to study flexible body dynamics took a detour and got stuck in a wall of numerical methods. In the end, I spend the last half of this day dealing with that without any results... Anyway, today I wanna write a little bit about my life as a graduate student here. In short, it's not going smooth and incredibly difficult so far. But I guess every graduate students (with some extreme exceptions of course!) will undoubtedly said along the same lines. To be honest, until this day, I haven't feel that I'm really behaving like a good or at least a normal graduate student. It's getting better right now but back then, I felt like running in a treadmill, if I have to give it in an expression. The good news is at least, I feel like walking right now. And since then, I always trying to find many...

Hatsushima Island, The First Laboratory Trip

Before moving on to other topics, I want to write about one of my first quite-far-travel experience in here. Actually I always have the urge to write it as soon as possible, because I'm afraid I will forget it. Honestly, I don't really have a good memory. Most of my friends can prove that I'm sure. So! Right after I got the news of my acceptance in here. I also told the my fellow lab mates (because I already know most of them from my previous internship in this lab) about that. Other than congratulating me, they also told me about their plan to go on a laboratory trip. I forgot the occasion, or if there's any occasion at all, but that is of course makes me quite excited because I will have the chance to go on a trip right after I got into Japan. Hahaha.. What a coincidence.... They said the trip will probably take place around early October, and I plan to come on the end of September, so.. Luckyy.... But... Objection! Yes, that's right.. I ask and confirm w...

Ski and (Another) Graduation Trip

Now that it's already March, the academic semester of for general Japanese student is gonna end. It is quite common I guess for every lab to plan and go for a graduation trip. Both as a celebration and farewell event for members who is going to graduate, and also as a breather in the middle of stressful research activities. So my lab is going to go to another (I didn't write our previous trip to Izu, but oh well..) graduation trip, and this time we're going to go ski! I'm quite anxious and excited for this trip cause this will be my first time skiing, albeit I already stay for more than 2 years in this four-season country. Well, there's no way I'm going to go ski alone of course, and so far our lab members don't seem to be interested about ski trip (or more possibly, it never crossed their mind). I didn't really have a strong urge to go either, so yeah... Anyway, this time there's a new first year master's student that likes ski so much, so...