Skip to main content

Yokohama: There and Back Again

The winter break is one of the long holiday cherished in Japan, as also one of the special moments where people can take a breath after the exhausting day-to-day work. This holiday usually lasts over the Christmas and after the New Year period, which is from December 23 to January 6 this year. Some of my friend in the lab went back to their hometown to celebrate New Year with their family and relatives, while some others (mostly the 2nd year master student) stay in the lab and doing their research like usual (or even harder) because the deadline for thesis submission is drawing near. As for me, there is practically no difference between this long holiday and weekend, because I didn't really go somewhere far away like some of my friends who went to a ski trip or traveling around Kansai area, nor do I went back to my country. Fortunately, there is a one big event that I was looking forward to in this winter holiday, so my holiday might be not that boring. But before that, there was another thing coming. My cousin who lives in Australia, said that he would come to Japan with his friend, and it's on this winter holiday.

They arrived at around 2 weeks before the end of December at Kansai International Airport, and decided to stay at hotel in Osaka. At first, I thought that they will stay in Osaka while traveling and sightseeing around Kansai area, then move to stay in Tokyo while looking around Kanto area. But maybe that is a bit difficult for them, so they stay in the same hotel for their entire holiday which is around 1 month, and travel around from there. Oh and I have to mention that they have already obtained their JR Pass which makes it easier and cheaper for them to travel around. I think it's best to use JR Pass in this kind of situation so you don't to worry about transportation cost and can travel rather conveniently in here, thought it's not that cheap of course.

Seeing that he came with his friend, and he is old enough to travel overseas by himself, I don't really see the need to always tell them or guide them around the areas. First, I live in Kanto while they stay in Kansai. This distance makes it difficult for us to meet frequently, and as a result I only communicate with them using online messenger. Second, as I'm also new to this country, I don't really have that much experiences and knowledge to suddenly become a tour guide to other people. Not to mention that I haven't travel around that often too since I came here. And third, I know that they must have created some kind of rough plan or itinerary about their holiday here, cause they will stay for around 1 month and they stay in Japan, which is among one of the most expensive countries to live in. That makes a very well, budget-tight plan is a mandatory. And I'm sure that they will enjoy it more to design their own vacation plan rather than following some other people suggestions. The reason I write this is cause some people seem to still treat them like a children who cannot think of their own. Those people think we should quickly meet, and even implied that my cousin and his friend couldn't go anywhere without meeting me first or without my guidance. Not that I'm angry or what, but it's a little bit annoyed me...

And after a couple of chat sessions, finally we plan to meet on December 24. They are going to visit me in Fuchinobe, and from there we will going somewhere (which frankly we didn't have any ideas where to go at that time). I admit that I'm really poor at guiding people or telling people to do something, and I don't really creative with travel ideas too. So while they are at Fuchinobe, I suggested that we go to the my research institute, ISAS/JAXA Sagamihara which also serves as one of public exhibition halls for Japanese space technologies and activities. Because I think it might be interesting for an undergraduate students like them, and not every country has developed a spacefaring capabilities and well-established space agencies. From Fuchinobe Station, we went straight to ISAS by bus, and it's actually the first time they're using bus. There's a little confusion when paying though, cause we're supposed to pay with the exact amount of money (that's why they provide a change machine). But it's mostly my mistake cause I didn't tell them in more detail I think. Well at least that was a good experience! Hahaha..

We entered the facility as a public visitor, which I never done before cause I always enter as a student and have an ID card, and start exploring the area. We're browsing around the first floor exhibition hall in the main building. I see these area nearly every day so it doesn't excite me that much, but I tried to show them and tell them a thing or two about the exhibit. Some model of satellites developed, history of Japanese rocketry and satellites, model the famous HAYABUSA asteroid explorer, and other things related to the space missions developed by JAXA. After that, we go to the outside exhibits where we can see an actual M-V rocket, together with a real-life size of M-3SII. After taking enough pictures to show-off we pay a visit to the CO-OP shop, which is a convenience store that sells many things and usually partnered and located within many universities in Japan. In case of the ISAS CO-OP, it also sells many books related to space developments and achievements of JAXA, and of course many space merchandise. My cousin decided to buy something for his souvenir, and we decided to end this visit after that.

After going back to the station (without much confusions in bus payment this time, fortunately), I invite them to visit my apartment to see glimpse of what a real student life in Japan like. I also suggest that if there's not enough time to travel around Kanto that day, they can stay the night in my room to travel again more in the next day. Because it would be a waste of time and energy to travel here from Kansai just for one day visit, around 3 hours distance I think. After some short discussion, we decided to go to Yokohama, particularly around Minato Mirai area. Honestly, there's not much things to see in Yokohama, or Kanagawa area (that I know of) cause it's a big city with modern buildings and architectures. Unlike Kyoto or other cities in Kansai which still have many traditional Japanese buildings, temples, or shrines. Of course this is definitely my personal opinions, as a student who just came into Japan and don't have enough traveling experiences. Anyway, in Kanagawa, there's actually one city that is famous for that kind of thing (very traditional Japanese cultural experience), which is Kamakura. I suggest that they go there, but unfortunately I've been there before so I don't want to go there again obviously (because it's not that near and cheap for me T_T), which makes they seem a little bit hesitate about going there by themselves. Of course I don't really mind if I'm not going with them, as I can just go back to my room and enjoy my miserable winter holiday alone. Hahaha..

There's other huge mistake that I was embarrassingly done when we went to Yokohama. The truth is, among other cities outside Sagamihara, Yokohama, particularly around Minato Mirai area, is the one that I've been visited the most. For some reasons (which I will tell you later), I have come to this place at least once a month, and that makes it's not an exaggeration to say that I've memorized the way to travel here (and you don't even have to change line actually cause it's still in the same Yokohama Line). The thing is, I always get-off at Sakuragicho Station when I want to go to Minato Mirai, but for some reasons that I couldn't comprehend, that day I lead them to get-off at the wrong station!! We get-off at Yokohama Station which is 1 station before Sakuragicho, and that was my first mistake when traveling with train since I came into Japan. Right just when I need lead other people and expected to give them a guide. Oh shoot........

After some embarrassing moments that leads to us riding the train again, we finally arrived at Sakuragicho, fiuuhh... Fortunately the weather is good, and we even have a chance to saw some kids doing some show near the station.

Dancing and playing some instruments
Yokohama
The first thing we do after arriving here is go straight to the Landmark Tower which is one of the most distinguished features of Yokohama, and also the tallest building and 3rd tallest structure in Japan. Our destination today is actually the Sky Garden, an observation deck located on the 69th floor of this building. Though I frequently go to Minato Mirai district, I never go the that observation deck cause it seems that I'm not that interested to pay 1,000 yen just to see a view from such high place. But I guess there's the experience today. Aside from the observation deck, the thing that picked my interest is the elevator we ride to go to the 69th floor. It is the fastest elevator in Japan that can go up to 750 m/min and took only mere 40 seconds from 2nd to 69th floor. Furthermore, there is some kind like a really cool speedometer in that elevator, I think that was the first time I saw a speedometer in an elevator! Too bad I missed the chance to take a picture of it.

The sky garden itself is a place where we can get a 360 degree view of Yokohama city up to 80 km away. And judging from the entrance, I think usually it can get really crowded here. But maybe because we came on the afternoon and it's a workday, there were not many visitors. The observation deck is divided onto 4 (I think) parts which interconnected to each other. There are seats for enjoying the views, stationary binoculars (is this even the correct term?), cafe, a souvenir shop, and also a service that draws an illustration of yourself. When we came, there are some ongoing exhibits from Disney so there is a room that displays a couple of Disney & Pixar things. Overall I think it's a good spot, especially for a dating spot. Unfortunately cause we came on the afternoon, the views is not so magnificent, compared to the views at night. There are some pictures, above the window where you can see the outside view, which give you an example of how the views can be at night (made me jealous to be able to take that kind of pictures). Cause I'm too lazy, I'll just dump a lot of pictures below.

The super fast and super awesome elevator


One side of the observation deck
The souvenir shop. Obviously I didn't buy anything

The illustration service, targeted for couples I guess

It seems that blogger can't cooperate very well with a lot of pictures... Anyway, after enjoying some time in the observation deck, we headed back to ground with that super awesome elevator again, and pay our goodbye to Yokohama. Yep, that's it! Because apparently we don't have any idea where to go after that, hahaha.. Oh before we went to the station, we visited Pokemon Center and Jump Shop in Yokohama to buy some souvenirs. And unfortunately my both the battery of my cousin's phone and camera was run out, and he didn't bring its charger, so they decided to get back to their hotel instead of staying at my place. We parted ways at Shin-Yokohama Station cause they have to take Shinkansen from that station, and it turns out that this is our once and only meeting in Japan before he going back to Australia. Farewell!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today...

Is not so good. While the number of people that come to lab is one less than yesterday, meaning there's only one other person beside me, I can't seem to proceed. My intention to study flexible body dynamics took a detour and got stuck in a wall of numerical methods. In the end, I spend the last half of this day dealing with that without any results... Anyway, today I wanna write a little bit about my life as a graduate student here. In short, it's not going smooth and incredibly difficult so far. But I guess every graduate students (with some extreme exceptions of course!) will undoubtedly said along the same lines. To be honest, until this day, I haven't feel that I'm really behaving like a good or at least a normal graduate student. It's getting better right now but back then, I felt like running in a treadmill, if I have to give it in an expression. The good news is at least, I feel like walking right now. And since then, I always trying to find many...

Hatsushima Island, The First Laboratory Trip

Before moving on to other topics, I want to write about one of my first quite-far-travel experience in here. Actually I always have the urge to write it as soon as possible, because I'm afraid I will forget it. Honestly, I don't really have a good memory. Most of my friends can prove that I'm sure. So! Right after I got the news of my acceptance in here. I also told the my fellow lab mates (because I already know most of them from my previous internship in this lab) about that. Other than congratulating me, they also told me about their plan to go on a laboratory trip. I forgot the occasion, or if there's any occasion at all, but that is of course makes me quite excited because I will have the chance to go on a trip right after I got into Japan. Hahaha.. What a coincidence.... They said the trip will probably take place around early October, and I plan to come on the end of September, so.. Luckyy.... But... Objection! Yes, that's right.. I ask and confirm w...

Ski and (Another) Graduation Trip

Now that it's already March, the academic semester of for general Japanese student is gonna end. It is quite common I guess for every lab to plan and go for a graduation trip. Both as a celebration and farewell event for members who is going to graduate, and also as a breather in the middle of stressful research activities. So my lab is going to go to another (I didn't write our previous trip to Izu, but oh well..) graduation trip, and this time we're going to go ski! I'm quite anxious and excited for this trip cause this will be my first time skiing, albeit I already stay for more than 2 years in this four-season country. Well, there's no way I'm going to go ski alone of course, and so far our lab members don't seem to be interested about ski trip (or more possibly, it never crossed their mind). I didn't really have a strong urge to go either, so yeah... Anyway, this time there's a new first year master's student that likes ski so much, so...