Skip to main content

Breaking the Habit

One of the most difficult thing for me is to maintain a good habit of doing something. Most of the time I get excited and determined at to commit into doing something, but in the end it's usually only last for a couple of days/weeks before I either don't care anymore or too lazy to that thing again. This applies to many things, including but not limited to studying, learning languages, practicing my music, exercising, or even this habit or writing/blogging. Eventually my inability of building or keeping a good habit turn into some sorta habit itself, and that is bad. Really bad.

The lack of good habit in my life leads to very very inconsistent and unbalanced lifestyle, and it is really hazardous both to my physical and mental health. One of many examples is my sleeping time. There's a period when I had some sort of insomnia, where I feel cannot sleep at night and can only sleep in the morning. So my days were like inverted, and it's like I became a nocturnal being. Well I guess this sounds fine and all, but it actually caused many frustrations. Particularly because other normal people live in days, thus some problems arise whether it's related to my university administration or interaction with my lab members and professor.

This problem propagates into other aspects in my daily life, sorta like domino effect. It leads to the point where it's difficult to pinpoint which is the root cause of all these. The biggest impact that I'm worried about? Of course it's my performance as a graduate student. Let alone a good result, my performance as a graduate student so far has been below average. I have disappointed many people, and the biggest of all, myself. The problem is, though it has taken a huge toll in my life, this obnoxious behavior is still taking a huge deep root in myself. I guess there's no use in ranting and being bitter about it, unless I tried to change it myself.

Anyway, I'm sure there are a lot of good methods, techniques, and tips out there to solve this kind of problems, and I even have read some of them. The classic problem is of course, whether I'm motivated or determined enough to really apply and assimilate those methods into my daily life. Lifehacker is one site that contains numerous tips/techniques to overcome this kind of problem, hence the name. One thing that catches my interest cause it seems simple and at least manageable enough for me to do it is this so-called Seinfeld's method. This is one of many methods written in that site that falls into what do you call productivity tips, so it is also helpful to combat procrastination and other similar issues I guess. Basically it's just doing something consistently and let it develops into a habit, it sort of suited my original intention, but it adds the sense of accomplishment by physically mark your achievement. Like any other productivity tips, there are even some apps available to complement this method.

One of the keys to successfully implement this method is, I think, to be reasonable in setting the boundary and goals. Like many other quotes and tips related to productivity always says, start with something small. Let's hope (always hoping lol) that don't go around breaking my habit again. Lastly, an obligatory appropriate song to accompany this post from one of my favorite band :).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today...

Is not so good. While the number of people that come to lab is one less than yesterday, meaning there's only one other person beside me, I can't seem to proceed. My intention to study flexible body dynamics took a detour and got stuck in a wall of numerical methods. In the end, I spend the last half of this day dealing with that without any results... Anyway, today I wanna write a little bit about my life as a graduate student here. In short, it's not going smooth and incredibly difficult so far. But I guess every graduate students (with some extreme exceptions of course!) will undoubtedly said along the same lines. To be honest, until this day, I haven't feel that I'm really behaving like a good or at least a normal graduate student. It's getting better right now but back then, I felt like running in a treadmill, if I have to give it in an expression. The good news is at least, I feel like walking right now. And since then, I always trying to find many...

Hatsushima Island, The First Laboratory Trip

Before moving on to other topics, I want to write about one of my first quite-far-travel experience in here. Actually I always have the urge to write it as soon as possible, because I'm afraid I will forget it. Honestly, I don't really have a good memory. Most of my friends can prove that I'm sure. So! Right after I got the news of my acceptance in here. I also told the my fellow lab mates (because I already know most of them from my previous internship in this lab) about that. Other than congratulating me, they also told me about their plan to go on a laboratory trip. I forgot the occasion, or if there's any occasion at all, but that is of course makes me quite excited because I will have the chance to go on a trip right after I got into Japan. Hahaha.. What a coincidence.... They said the trip will probably take place around early October, and I plan to come on the end of September, so.. Luckyy.... But... Objection! Yes, that's right.. I ask and confirm w...

Ski and (Another) Graduation Trip

Now that it's already March, the academic semester of for general Japanese student is gonna end. It is quite common I guess for every lab to plan and go for a graduation trip. Both as a celebration and farewell event for members who is going to graduate, and also as a breather in the middle of stressful research activities. So my lab is going to go to another (I didn't write our previous trip to Izu, but oh well..) graduation trip, and this time we're going to go ski! I'm quite anxious and excited for this trip cause this will be my first time skiing, albeit I already stay for more than 2 years in this four-season country. Well, there's no way I'm going to go ski alone of course, and so far our lab members don't seem to be interested about ski trip (or more possibly, it never crossed their mind). I didn't really have a strong urge to go either, so yeah... Anyway, this time there's a new first year master's student that likes ski so much, so...